Matthew Donovan, MD
Dr. Donovan completed his fellowship training in Medical Retina from Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, which is consistently ranked as the best overall ophthalmology program in the nation. He brings a wealth of knowledge and extensive training to our Newsom Eye Medical Retina Clinic.
During his residency, Dr. Donovan served as resident supervisor for the Ophthalmology Interest Group and assisted with health screenings benefitting citizens in the greater Brooklyn area. He also initiated and formed a mentorship program for ophthalmic students where he served as Resident Mentor. Through the program, Dr. Donovan provided advice and insight to help medical students achieve their career goals. As a Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Fellow, he worked in conjunction with leaders in ophthalmology and retina care as they pioneered new treatment for macular degeneration and retinal imaging. Dr. Donovan also pioneered new treatments for macular degeneration, retinal imaging, and posterior and anterior uveitis.
Born in Long Island, New York, Dr. Donovan has spent ten years in Florida completing medical school and fellowship training. He and his wife love to cook, travel and spend time outside. Additionally, Dr. Donovan loves to support his alma mater, the Miami Hurricanes.
- Fellowship in Medical Retina, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL
- Residency in Ophthalmology, SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY
- Internship in Internal Medicine, Northwell Health, Manhasset, NY
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL
- Bachelor of Science, University of Miami, Miami, FL
RESEARCH AND PRESENTATIONS
- Donovan MB, Mohsenin A, Berrocal A, et al. Microscopeintegrated optical coherence tomography: Single-center experience with the Zeiss Rescan 700 microscope-mounted OCT system. Retina Today 2016;January-February: 52-56.
- Donovan MB, Mishali M, Miglino EM, Jindra LF. Effect of Race on Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty. J Cataract and Refract Surg 2011;37(suppl 213): 287.
- Donovan M, Miglino EM, Jindra LF. Correlation of Age and Gender to Efficacy of Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty as Primary or Secondary Treatment in Patients with Glaucoma. J Cataract and Refract Surg 2010;36(suppl 146): 368.
- Donovan M, Saeed A, Hyska M, et al. Oxidative Stress Modulates Glutathione S Transferase Pi Isoform (GSTP1) Expression in Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. Oral presentation at: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology; April, 2014; Orlando, Florida.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology