T. HUNTER NEWSOM, MD
FOUNDER, MEDICAL DIRECTOR
CATARACT AND LASIK SURGEON
BOARD CERTIFIED OPHTHALMOLOGIST
Dr. Newsom is the Founder and Medical Director of Newsom Eye. He is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, specializing in Cataracts and LASIK surgery. Dr. Newsom brings a wealth of experience, awards, and research to the practice.
Born in Gainesville, Florida, Dr. Newsom’s personal interests include traveling with his wife and three children, water and snow skiing, tennis, and flying helicopters.
- Inventor of the Newsom Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgery Technique Adapting the IntraLase Femtosecond Laser for Cataract Surgery
- First Surgeon in the World to Implant Aphakic Artisan™ Intraocular Lens in a Patient with Megalocornea
- First Surgeon in the United States to Implant FDA-Approved Bilateral Aphakic Artisan™ Intraocular Lenses
- University of Iowa Lifetime Visiting Professor, where Dr. Newsom trains the Next Generation of Cataract and LASIK Surgeons
- One of Only Two Surgeons Nationally Recognized for “Surgical Excellence” in Cataract and Implant Surgery, Awarded by the American College of Eye Surgeons
- One of the First Surgeons in the United States to Surgically Implant Both the Visian™ and Verisyse™ Phakic Intraocular Lenses
- Selected to The Alumni Ambassador Network, University of Florida College of Medicine
- Awarded the Bozeman Senior High School Young Alumnus Honor Award in 2011
- Educates Over 14,000 Ophthalmologists Across the World for the American Academy ofOphthalomology News and Education Cataract Committee
- Residency in Ophthalmology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, Ranked Top Three in the Nation
- Medical and Surgical Internship, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL
- Doctor of Medicine with Honors, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Bachelor of Science with Honors, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled, Multi-Center Clinical Study of the ACRYSOF® IQ Extended Depth to Focus IOL, Alcon, Inc.
- FDA Clinical Study for Segmented Bifocal Intraocular Lens, Lenstec, Inc.
- FDA Clinical Study for the Light Adjustable Lens, Calhoun Vision, Inc.
- FDA Clinical Study for Lenstec Softec HD™ Dr. Newsom’s Personal Research was Instrumental in Lenstec Softec HD™, Becoming Available for all Surgeons in the USA
- FDA Clinical Study for EYEFILL Viscoelastic, Croma Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- FDA Clinical Study for VISCO SHIELD Viscoelastic, OASIS Medical
- One of the Youngest Surgeons in the United States to Develop Three Ambulatory Surgical Centers Capable of Performing FDA Research in Eye Surgery
- Received the Albert G. King award for Outstanding Research
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Council of 100 Committee Member
- American College of Eye Surgeons
- American Medical Association