ERIC FAZIO, OD
MEDICAL DIRECTOR OF OPTOMETRY
PRIMARY EYE CARE PHYSICIAN
Dr. Fazio is an optometrist and the Medical Director of Optometry at Newsom Eye. Dr. Fazio manages Newsom Eye’s accredited one year Residency Program with Salus University, Elkins Park, PA, which is one of only a few in the country. This highly competitive additional year of training, after graduating from optometry school, prepares new doctors for management of ocular diseases and surgery. Dr. Fazio is proud to serve as an adjunct professor to a program ranked as one of the best in the nation.
Newsom Eye’s clinical Internship Program with emphasis on pre-operative and post-operative cataract and LASIK care is also overseen by Dr. Fazio. This internship educates fourth year students in finishing their training to become optometrists.
Clinically, Dr. Fazio specializes in comprehensive eye exams and ocular diseases such as diabetes, glaucoma, specialty dry eye conditions and treatments, advanced contact lens fittings, and manages patients with keratoconus. In addition, Dr. Fazio treats patients for pre-operative and post-operative cataract and LASIK care. With more than twenty-five years of experience, Dr. Fazio has managed well over 50,000 surgical cases of all types.
Dr. Fazio and his lovely wife, Tina, have five children. He enjoys outdoor activities, sports, traveling, playing the piano and painting. Dr. Fazio speaks English, Italian, French, and Spanish.
- Residency Training in Primary Eye Care with Focus on Glaucoma and the Diagnosis and Treatment of Ocular Disease at Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Elkins Park, PA
- Internship with Clinical Honors, Niagara Eye Care Center, Niagara Ontario, Canada
- Doctor of Optometry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo Ontario, Canada
- Honors Bachelor of Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo Ontario, Canada
- Sub-Investigator for Segmented Bifocal Intraocular Lens, Lenstec, Inc
- Sub-Investigator for the Light Adjustable Lens, Calhoun Vision, Inc.
- Assisted in the Development of the Newsom Bladeless Laser Cataract Technique
- Published in Southern Journal of Optometry, “Filtering Surgery, An Overview of Techniques, Indications and Contraindications”
- Produced Medical Drawings for Articles: ”Seventh Nerve Palsy”, “Neovascular Glaucoma”, and “Primary Care of the Optic Nerve”
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, Dean’s Honor List
- Recipient of the Prestigious Canada Scholarship, Awarded by the Prime Minister of Canada to 200 Students Nationwide
- American Optometric Association
- Florida Optometric Association
- Hillsborough Society of Optometrists Member and Past President