Laura Hedrick, OD
RESIDENT PRIMARY EYE CARE PHYSICIAN
Dr. Hedrick is a Newsom Eye 2022-2023 Optometry Resident in the accredited Newsom Eye Residency Program. Residents are carefully selected to join this competitive program based on their education, experience, skillset, and passion for optometry. This program is led by Dr. Eric Fazio, Medical Director of Optometry and Primary Eye Care Physician at Newsom Eye.
Dr. Hedrick is experienced in working in high volume eye care clinics through her numerous internships and externships. During her clinic experience, she gained experience managing and treating ocular diseases, pre- and post-operative care of cataract and glaucoma surgery, contact lens fittings, and dry eye management. During her time as a student completing her Doctorate of Optometry, she had the opportunity to provide eye care services and glasses to over 500 patients during a mission trip in Ecuador. Dr. Hedrick was proud to offer these eye care services to underserved communities and help them see their world more clearly. As a student at Florida State University, she performed sports vision therapy for the football and women’s soccer teams. Dr. Hedrick is passionate about treating every patient with the commitment, compassion, and exceptional care that they expect and deserve.
Born and raised in Pensacola, Florida, Dr. Hedrick enjoys playing tennis, training for Disney half marathons, traveling with her husband, spending time with family, paddle boarding, and watching classic films.
- Residency in Optometry, Newsom Eye, Tampa, FL
- Internship, Nova Southeastern University Clinics, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Externship, Eye Associates of Pinellas, Pinellas Park, FL
- Externship, Bay Pines VA Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
- Doctor of Optometry, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bachelor of Science in Vision Science, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Physiology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- American Academy of Optometry Student Fellow
- Student Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity
- Florida Optometric Student Association
- American Optometric Student Association
- Recipient of the VSP Global Faculty Choice Award of Excellence for the Class of 2022
- Recipient of the Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- Research Assistant with the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program, Florida State